Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Stashbusting By Proxy Sorbetto Hack


My little friend came for sewing day and as we were browsing through my projects she caught sight of this great abstract print in the stash. After pulling it from the pile and deciding she really liked it we cooked up a plan that involved an asymmetric hem and a tunic. I was left to ponder how we were going to accomplish that.

Thankfully I remembered the Sorbetto pattern would be a great sleeveless base and already had the extra fullness in the pleat that we would need for this design. We found her size for the chest and I measured from the shoulder seam to the the lengths we wanted the hem to be. I flared the side seams out from the armhole so I didn't even have to mess with drafting out the bust dart.

Since the fabric was semi sheer I taught her how to do french seams and we used white bias tape on the neckline and armholes. The armholes are a bit snug in the finished product so make sure to check the fit before you sew the bias tape on. We were on a time frame and she'd already had to rip out some seams so getting her to redo the armholes wasn't an option. When you're eleven, everything is fine because you just made a shirt!

I'm so proud of her and how well her skills are improving over the years. She sewed this up all by herself even though it was fraying and shifting like crazy. She didn't even complain when we had to redo the shoulder seams. I got a bonus too because some super fun fabric finally gets to live off my shelf and I didn't have to do much to stash bust it! It's late so I'm going to leave you now! Night night.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Lovely blouse sewing by a very talented young lady. How wonderful she found this in your stash and it now has a lovely home to go to.

Anonymous said...

She did a great job. It looks like the perfect kind of breezy top for summer.

kbenco said...

You must give the most terrific sewing lessons. The finished top looks great, but teaching pattern mods, french seams, bias neckline and even more important - how to fix a sewing hiccup- she will be able to take on anything! Great stashbusting delegation too.

Arts of Eska said...

I think the print and the assymetric hem go well together.

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks! I think it was a perfect pairing of fabric and design.

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks, I do try. This girl started young and has serious talent though so it makes my job easier. :)

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks Sharon. We are both pretty tickled!